Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Tale as Old as Time

One of my favorite things about working at the DA's office is listening to war stories. One such gem was told to me by my boss on Friday about a prostitution case he tried a few years ago...

My boss put a witness with slightly questionable morals on the stand. There had been rumors about this woman participating in some not so appropriate acts with a 14 year old boy and it was time for the defense counsel to cross.

Defense: What time did this happen?
Witness: I don't know.
Defense, louder this time: What time did this happen??
Witness: I don't know.
Defense, yelling: WHAT TIME DID THIS HAPPEN?!
Witness starts laughing hysterically.
Defense: A man's life is on the line here, tell me what is so damn funny!!!
Witness, still laughing: They ain't got no clocks in the crack house!

Apparently that comment got everyone in the court room giggling--the jury, the attorneys, the bailiffs, and the judge himself who could've been "a hundred and seven years old" according to my boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment